How can I do this???

cindy1978May 13, 2009

I am trying to plan my garden layout and some sites say not to plant pumpkins and watermelon's in the same area is this true? I also have corn, is there some way to have one garden with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

Your pumpkins and watermelons will not cross with each other, if that is what you are worried about.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 1:22AM
cindy1978

So is corn ok too?

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 8:39PM
zen_man

Cindy

It's important for the pollen from the corn tassels to fall onto the silks of the ears to pollinate the corn. So, instead of one long row of corn, plant it in several short rows together so that a corn patch is formed that is more or less square. That gets your corn plants closer to each other so that each ear of silks has a lot of tassels in its general vicinity. Wind and gravity spread the corn pollen.

If you want to help, you could take a pollen laden tassel and "spank" the silks on several of the ears. Or you could leave the tassel intact and apply individual "pieces" of pollen to the silks.

ZM

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 10:41AM
farmfreedom

Plant the corn 3 sisters style . Plant 6 seeds to a hill; hills six feet apart in each direction . Let the pumpkins and watermelons grow on the ground between the hills . You can also let pole beans climb the corn stalks instead of poles .

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 2:36PM
cindy1978

Thank you for all the great help, I will let you know how everything turns out, for now I have to wait for the weather to let me plant outside. Its snowed again this morning.

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Pink Turk's Cap 'Pam Puryear'
Thanks in advance for any helpful answers to my question....
GAV65
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Plants for the most impatient hybridizers (i.e., students!)
I posted this message on the house plants forum before...
clibanarius
Zucchini x Yellow Crookneck?
I have scoured the Internet & this website for...
lostnation
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™