Scape?

jan_on zone 5bMay 4, 2012

Is this a scape growing on my NOID? Two big fat eyes emerged, one grew beautiful leaves, one did this. I expected scapes to grow from the centre of a rosette of leaves. Is it confused, or am I?

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

OMG!!! How ever did you find it? Were you down on your knees worshiping the Hosta gods and spotted this awesome growth?

That looks like a hefty diameter to it, just like an eye to me, but then my NOID #1 put up a scape early in the season too. Only it was definitely a SCAPE. This is a really fine looking plant you have there. How big are the leaves so far?
Sorry, cannot determine the nature of this beast.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 7:39PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

'it' is.. not you ...

its got a name.. for what is happening.. and i cant remember it.. lol .. there was a post a week or so about the subject ...

its probably hormonally unbalanced ...

ken

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 7:47PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

It's interesting. I don't remember the post, so I'm keeping this one at the top for an answer.

bkay

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 7:50PM
hostaLes(5)

How long has your NOID been planted there Jan? It certainly has the appearance of new growth of one of the Lilium, either asiatic or oriental lily.

This is just an observation. Such scape anomoly among hostas would be WAY out of my realm of knowledge.

Les

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 8:59PM
franknjim

It is just a scape. Once in awhile an eye will send up a scape without sending up any leaves. Cut it off if you want that part of the plant to grow leaves.

This is one that my one eyed Thunderbolt sent up a couple years ago. I cut it off and leaves grew. I had an eye on Wolverine do the same thing.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:16PM
jan_on zone 5b

I bought this plant last summer even though it was obviously NOT 'Paul's Glory' as labelled, because my husband (not a hosta fan) picked it out. So it was planted last fall, and came up this spring with two healthy eyes that looked the very same, but then did this. Not nearly as spectacular as yours Frank. Guess I'll watch and wait -- it's too interesting to cut off at this point.
Jan

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Bare Root!!!!
Sunday morning. End of march. Jonesing for Spring. I...
gardenfool
Is this heat/sun damage or something else?
This is my Loyalist from last year. It has a pretty...
santamiller
Designer Genes
We still have 2 feet of snow cover here, although it...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™