How would one cross tomatoes for cold hardiness?

stefblacJune 7, 2007

I have zero experience in hybridizing but it sounded like a fun project, I want to cross a tiny tim tomato with a burnley bounty tomato to make a cherry tomato that grows well in the winter time, inside under lights or in a sunny inside position. From what I understand the burnley bounty tomato is about best late tomato available in australia and it produces well into late winter here. How would I go about transferring the cold hardiness of this tomato into the tiny tim plant and how many generations might this take? Is this possible? Might I better spend my time by just growing the tiny tim plant under these colder indoor conditions and just selecting the seeds from the strongest plants generation after generation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbgardener

I like to dabble in the art of hybridizing, but I would leave tomato hybridizing to the experts that have a lot of acreage to devote to the subject. You would have to grow hundreds of plants and test them for height, hardiness, disease, etc. If you are really interested in hybridizing, why not start out with a smaller project and smaller plants to begin with? I hybridize African violets for a hobby, and I have to grow at least a hundred plants to blooming size to get something that even comes close to what I want. I may only get one good plant out of a hundred. Can you imagine doing that with plants as large as tomato plants?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.
Bill

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 8:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

Try the one developed in Greenland for the military base .and those for drought conditions . check www.nativeseedsearch.org for wild types .

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
Zucchini x Yellow Crookneck?
I have scoured the Internet & this website for...
lostnation
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
Sponsored Products
Electri-Chef Island Marine 32 in. Built-In Electric Grill - Single Burner Multic
Hayneedle
Progress Lighting P5193-20Eul One-Light Down Pendant Etched Umber Linen Glass Sh
Progress Lighting
Maxim Rondo Nickel Finish 38 3/4" Wide 8-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Custom Isabella Upholstered Headboard
Home Decorators Collection
Articulate Office Chair in Black
$149.00 | LexMod
Americh Turo 6036 Right Handed Tub (60" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Opal Acrylic Pendant Lighting with Leaves Pattern Shade
ParrotUncle
Tufted Bench
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™