Looking for oakleaf hydrangea "Alice"

magneatoFebruary 23, 2014

Hi! I have been researching the best oakleaf hydrangea for my garden, and due to the space available and the desire for something very tall, I think "Alice" is the gal for me. The trouble is, I can't seem to find many sources to get it. Monrovia has it in their catalog, but doesn't seem to actually have it for sale online. Do you know of anywhere in particular I should look? Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Oh wow, magneato. I have the opposite problem. My local nurseries (small to medium sized stores) like to carry Alice so I have difficulty finding other oakleafs locally. Check your local plant nurseries and see if they carry it. Inventories this time of the year may be small but Hydrangeasplus.com and Hydrangea.com carry it. Or so their websites said a few moments ago.

Luis

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 4:08PM
magneato

Thank you, Luis! None of the physical shops have much of anything right now, but you have given me hope that I will find it locally! I saw hydrangea.com but didn't know if the site was reputable. I had not heard of them before this weekend. I didn't know about hydrangeas plus.

Do you (or others) know how many years it takes them to get to full size?

This post was edited by magneato on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:11

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 6:09PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

The estimated size at maturity in most labels assumes about 10 years. If you were to have a long growing season (like in the southern states), you could shave a few years off that mark. If you want to get it there faster, you could get a larger specimen to begin with. For that, contact the mail order companies by phone as this info is not in their websites normally. Some local landscaping companies will offer this kind of service too (ie, try to find a specimen that is larger/taller/wider/smaller/etc than what you normally get in stores).

Is there a reason why you were asking about this?

PS - I forgot to say that Monrovia is a wholesaler that does not directly sell to the public but you can go to a local nursery that buys from Monrovia and special order Monrovia plants that the local nursery does not stock. There may be order limits (either quantity or dollar value) on those transactions though... imposed by the local nursery, not necessarily by a wholesaler. I once was told I had to order at least $100 in order to special order.....

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:35PM
hcmcdole(z7)

Wilkerson Mill is where I got mine a couple of years ago.

Wilkerson Mill

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:26PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

So you do not get confused magneato, Wilkerson Mill's website is called hydrangea.com

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 8:47AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Thanks Luis. The link I provided will take him to the site and the oak leaf 'Alice'. I find 'Snow Queen' as big if not bigger than 'Alice' (so far).

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™