invincibelle spirit hydrangea

jacqueline9CAFebruary 18, 2013

I know there has been some discussion about this hydrangea on here (I did search it), but most of the posts were from when it was really new and none of the plants had been in the ground very long.

So - here is my question: Does anyone grow invincibelle spirit hydrangea in No California? If so, could you tell me what sort of conditions it is planted in, and how it is doing?

I planted two of these over a year ago on the South side of my garage. Because of the garage, a fence, and a giant overhanging oak tree, the area is shady most of the day, but does get maybe 2-3 hours of sun, depending on the season. I have a hanabi (shooting star lace cap) hydrangea there as well, and 15 feet away, in more shade, I have 7 anabelle hydrangeas. The anabelles and the shooting star hydrangeas are doing great - lots of large flowers every year. All of those bushes grew to 4-6 feet tall within a year or so.

The invincibelle hydrangeas did bloom last Spring (their first Spring) with very small pink blooms. The bushes, however, have not gotten larger than 12 inches high and about 12-18 inches wide. I just cleaned up that bed, and they are still there and still alive. I plan on feeding them with Maxsea fertilizer for acid loving plants. Any information anyone can give me who grows them in a similar climate to mine (Mediterranean) would be very welcome!

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I have had other varieties that did the same thing, meaning grow very little on year 1 but they made up afterwards.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 6:58PM
jacqueline9CA

OK Luis - thanks. I don't know much about hydrangeas, so that makes me feel better. I guess I will just wait to see what they do eventually. I was afraid that they might not be getting enough sun, but the hanabi one is right next to them, and it is as happy as can be.

Jackie

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 3:05PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Don't you just hate it when that happens??? Two similar shrubs side-by-side and not showing the same growth. Just keep an eye on the basics: soil pH should be acidic or near neutral; maintain the soil evenly moist, not wet or dry; use 3-4" of mulch so they do not have episodes of very dry and moist; the roots do not like to be wet. Fertilize when they leaf out with a slow release fertilizer.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:17PM
jacqueline9CA

OK, I checked them yesterday - one of the tiny plants is getting leaf buds on it, the other one is not yet. So, I guess I just have to be patient! That is not my strong suit. Meanwhile, all of the other hydrangeas near these are taking off madly - maybe the tiny ones will take the hint

Jackie

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 1:06PM
tulips101(5a sterling il.)

I was thinking about planting them in front of my house where im taking out some evergreens .Does anyone think that will work or would belle anna work better to house is whit so i wanted some color.Does anyone have any ideas thank you.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 11:16AM
Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5

tulips, I would not plant them in my front yard. I don't think they are very attractive.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
What taller grasses go with endless summer hydrangea?
I am putting in a new bed of hydrangeas this spring....
suz9601
hydrangeas dieing back in winter
I'm growing some hydrangeas that the tags only say...
rober49
Sponsored Products
Peony Hydrangea Candelabrum
Overstock.com
Forever Green Art Burst In g Reds
Beyond Stores
Fosters Point Vase With Hydrangea Grass Dahlia
Beyond Stores
Wedgwood Patina Platinum Salad Plate - 5C11247735
$32.00 | Hayneedle
French Flowers Floral Art
Ballard Designs