desperate for a hydrangea in shade

treasureforu(NC 7)February 27, 2009

How much shade can a hydrangea tolerate? I have a very shady backyard but I really want a hydrangea. Is there one that will grow in shade or do I have to plant it in the front yard? I want it in back where I spend most of my time. Would a forever hydrangea or a all summer hydrangea work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Any kind of Hydrangea macrophylla or serrata will be happy in a mostly shaded position. Be aware that the heavier the shade, the less prolific the blooming will be. Morning sun and afternoon shade or filtered or dappled shade all day is ideal.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 5:45PM
treasureforu(NC 7)

Thanks gardengal. I sure wish winter would go away. I have a new yard and can't wait to start planting in it. Thanks again for the information, I have a special spot saved for a hydrangea.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 8:09AM
allison1888

I also love hydrangea and am so ready for the gardening season. We are lucky to have lots of full sun, but some shady spots too for hydrangea. One thought, can you trim any trees to get more sunlight in the yard. I know this becomes an ongoing thing, but it will help with more blooms. Otherwise, don't worry about shade. Just keep it well drained and water deeply every 3-4 days.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™