Unknown variety- please help!

ejatxJune 6, 2009

Hi there, I bought a plant labeled as Cherokee Chocolate at a local plant sale that has turned out to not be that variety but an unknown one that both the garden I bought it from, Sunshine Community Garden in Austin TX, and the garden that grew the plants for them, San Gabriel Valley Farms in Georgetown TX, can't identify for the life of us. I even went through every plant on the plant sale list to no avail. The tomatoes are very pear-shaped and striped green but are a littler larger than other "cherub" style varieties. A big batch of them have ripened, which seems to happen when they get a golden color to them, and are quite tasty but I'm curious to see if any of you might have a idea. I posted it on this hybrid list because I feel that the person at the community garden who collected the seeds must have inadvertently cross-pollinated two varieties without realizing and was wondering if any of you fine folks who actually have experience with that could fill me in on whether that's even possible. I'm posting a couple of pictures of the tomatoes, both on the vine and ripened in a bowl with a couple of other varieties. Btw, my roommate bought the plant that produced the red-orange tomato at Whole Foods and that was labeled as a Purple Russian, which it obviously isn't, so we actually have two we're not sure of. Anything you could add would most certainly help us.

Thanks,

Elliot

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/53/img0434iyq.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5717/img0356wwd.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zen_man

Elliot,

This is more likely a case or cases of mislabeling, instead of hybridizing. I would suggest posting your query in the Tomatoes forum, where there are a lot of experts on heirloom tomato varieties.

ZM

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
native plum graft
i want to improve wildlife feed. we have a lot of native...
croatankid
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Wavy Stripes Dark Multi 5' 5" x 7' 8"
Home Depot
Personalized Scalloped Server with Name or Phrase
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
Criss Coffee Table in Silver Clear
$350.00 | LexMod
Magic Blue Metallic Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
INSPIRE Q Wellington White Faux Leather Arched Base Bench
Overstock.com
Hammary T73707-00 Hidden Treasures Round Accent Table w/ One Drawer
Beyond Stores
Pink Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set
$29.99 | zulily
New Geometric Narrow Kazak Runner 2'x6' Hand Knotted Oriental Red Wool Rug H3703
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™