are your hummers still around

finchelover(5b-6)September 14, 2008

I have 2 still here,one I call the boss that chases the other away. I laugh because it is here early in the day,has its perch on twig of my dwarf purple plum bush and drinks feeder near by,flies to his perch waits and watches if the other appears,beware. That is its territory. I hope they stay awhile longe our temps been dropping and they say tomorrow morning we will be in 40's. I live north of Kansas City,Mo area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rooster_ron

I still have a couple here in Michigan.

With all the rain, they are constantly at the feeders.

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding Hummingbirds

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 5:51PM
bev1065(7)

We have been feeding 3 since August. 2 or 3 of them are still here. I'm in zone 7, upper South Carolina.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 4:48PM
twinkie1cat(9 or lower 8)

Well, it is a long time until winter in Louisiana although it is supposed to be in the 60s tonight. I would be concerned those little feet would freeze if they got too cold. They are just so incredibly little.

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 10:07PM
phloxmom

Today is at an all time low. I live in Atlanta, Ga. and it's a little cool today.

I'm assuming they have migrated but not certain.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 2:27PM
harlgr8dane(5b ON)

I'm still seeing at least 3 around here at my feeders on a daily basis...

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 10:16PM
greenjean7bga

I had an abundance 2 days ago. This morning I counted at least 6. This has been the first year that I have had this many show up.

Not complaining!

Jean

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 12:01AM
crazee4flowers(z5 MI)

We still have 3 hummers here

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 12:26PM
ctnchpr

This is 1 of about 10 still hangin' around my place...

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 12:31PM
grow4birds

Mine never leave. I have them all year long. I live in Oregon, the Willamette Valley. From watching their habits, I believe the same birds live, breed, nest and eat in my yard all year long. The hummers I watch have three little territories staked out on different sides of my property. I can hear the three males all day long, doing their little "this is my space" "this is my space" "this is my space" calls from their favorite perches.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 2:34PM
greenjean7bga

grow4birds, you are so lucky! I find it very interesting that you have hummers year round in Oregon. Since you are in a valley I am guessing that the temps are rather mild there in the winter. Let us know should I am wrong.

I still have hummers here. They seem to change daily. Some leave and others come in.

Jean NW GA

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 10:43PM
noemi-flower(9)

I counted 14 last week, this morning I've only seen 8, but it seems to change everyday. I hope alot more are still coming my way. I'm in South Texas zone9, warm winters, could I have them year round , anyone know?

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 12:01PM
grow4birds

Jean, The AnnaƂs do not migrate. They are year round residents. We get Rufous also but only in the spring, summer and early fall. We do have below freezing weather but only for a few days at a time. So the little guys are able to wait out the weather. I maintain 9 feeders all year long and in the winter, during cold spells, keeping them defrosted can be a full time job. When the night time temps drop below 35 degrees I bring all my feeders in the house at night. Then before first light I warm the feeders and sugar water and hang them out just in time for breakfast. (-: Last winter we had snow, freezing rain and a run of a week worth of cold weather with day time temp in the 20s. The hummers were up with the sun, at the feeders and on their perches and living their life like it was 80 degrees. They are amazing little birds.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 4:42PM
hummersteve

As of today I still have 3 or 4 here. But Im sure its a new batch each day. With the cooldown coming they may all move on. Last year with the coming weekend I saw my last one anyway.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 10:41PM
hummersndogs

I'm south of Indy and I saw one Sunday 9/28, but none since ... I think prior to that the ones I saw were just passing through.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 3:49PM
hummersteve

Ive been having them daily including today the 12th one at a time as they pass thru.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 6:19PM
greenjean7bga

grow4birds, Thanks for sharing about how you help your hummers and the ones that you see in the winter.

Here in GA we sometimes get hummers from the west, so I leave one feeder out year round.

I had one hummer yesterday. She was gone today.

Jean
NW GA

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 1:02AM
gardengirl_nancy(Z5 Midwest)

As of today I am still seeing 2, in Northern IL, they are not my regulars. These are very dark and small. I never take down my feeders until it is very cold. One year I was out in the yard after a hard frost, still had a few fall flowers, must have been the end of Oct or first of Nov. To my surprise was a little hummer working what was left of the flowers. I quickly went in and fixed her some nectar and hung the feeder back up. She must have been a migrating hummer. Now my feeders stay up until there is no chance any are still around.

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 3:23PM
sloride66

Still feeding at least 1 female in Douglasville, GA

This is actually my neighbors feeder. I haven't convinced her to change to sugar water up to this point but, I'm working on it.

Notice how she leaned around the bottle to pose for the photo.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 10:42PM
hummersteve

I Still a young female that has been around the last 2 or 3 days guarding the fort, sometimes I catch her chasing another away, but most of the time she just sits in the tree preening herself. When the hummers feed now its just flowers. Ihavent seen one at a feeder in over a week.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 10:49AM
garliclover(z5b IN)

Steve,

Mid October is pretty impressive for Indy! I saw my last one on 9/30. I'm just West of Indy. I think my record for the last hummer sighting at my house is 10/1.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
What early annuals should I get?
What are early blooming annuals hummingbirds like?...
shijitake
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks K04 Tub Filler - REMER K04
$154.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Home Decorators Collection Rugs Washed Jute
$79.00 | Home Depot
Fitzgerald U-Chaise Sectional - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Intelligent Design Sabrina Printed Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Recipe for Family Personalized Canvas Wall Art
$31.99 | zulily