Daylily Question from Young Person in 4-H

theodosiaunderwoodJune 28, 2010

My daughter is working on a 4-H project on plant breeding. That is such a broad topic, so she is narrowing it down to plant breeding as it applies to daylillies. Can anyone suggest some resources for her. Some of what we are finding is a little too "in depth." Perhaps there is a list of which daylily traits are dominant, which are recessive, etc.?

Thanks,

Theodosia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

Try the Day lily forum . there should be books available on inter-library loan from the library . they can be written at different levels at the 3rd grade level for example . what traits is she breeding for ? Do you know it take 3 years from seed to get a bloom ? If she needs this for a school project I suggest radishes they can grow to seed in 4 months ( early types ).

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 1:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keking(z6 TN)

Some daylily breeders report on the fertility of their plants. Some bear seeds but little pollen, others have good pollen but set few seeds. There are also differences in chromosome number, which can be important to breeders.

Stamile of Floyd Cove Nursery has some almost blue varieties that are well worth looking at, even though the newer types are scary expensive.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Floyd Cove Nursery

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
Lycoris spp. hybridization
Has anyone ever tried crossing Lycoris spp.? I have...
John_U
Weird green echinacea
This summer one of my echinaceas bloomed green---all...
Cindi McMurray
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™