East Texas migration in full force

bill75773September 7, 2012

The hummers are swarming my feeders all day on their way back south. I have had feeders out for about 15 years and this time of the year is always fun. I am now feeding about 5 cups of sugar water per day but most will be gone with the first norther. Here is a picture I took just after daylight this morn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Eric580

Wow! So many hummers! Just put an impatients capensis on my porch and the hummers from the garden come onto the porch for the geramium and the impatients capensis!

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 6:12PM
eahamel(9a)

I've seen a couple of female ruby throated hummers in my yard for the last couple of weeks, here in Houston. You really have a huge flock of them there!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:40PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I live down here in Rockport Texas and I have been out of state. Just got home yeterday and put up 9 feeders. Have gone through 24 cups of solution since last night. And don't forget about the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration September 13 thru September 16. More hummers than you can imagine!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:51PM
island(9)

OMG I can't believe all those birds! I'm in San Diego and have never seen more than 3 in my yard at a time and now that I hung a feeder one has become very territorial. Pops out of nowhere to chase the others away from the feeder AND every plant in the yard! Same experience when I lived in Orange Co.
So why do some birds share and others not? Is it species, location, gender or ??? I don't know enough about them to tell male from female.
Quite amusing to watch. It could become addictive!

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:21PM
debrgarden(9 North Bay)

I have found that the Rufous are VERY territorial and chase everyone away! They are never here to stay but always passing through. Their beauty makes up for their attitude! I have also found that the Costa's are pretty mild mannered. It is addicting!! I love 'em!

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Hello from Florida
Hello all, I have recently added a butterfly garden...
angelimperfect36
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™