Picking a Hydrangea

labwench(MI/Zone 5)February 22, 2013

I would like to plant a couple of hydrangea on the north side of my house. There are no other trees or shrubs so I think the lighting will be fine. The space on the side of the house that I want the plant to cover is huge and empty. Probably 25 feet long and 10 feet up to the window. Are there hydrangeas that get tall enough to fill that space? How many would I plant? Recommendations?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Consider some of the paniculatas and oakleafs. Although there are some dwarf varities of these now for sale, they generally tend to be large shrubs and should be hardy in your area. Some paniculata examples are Limelight, Quick Fire, Vanilla Strawberry, Pink Diamond, etc. Some oakleaf (a.k.a. quercifolia) examples are Alice and Snowflake; more difficult to find but, with bigger blooms, is Harmony. Many of these get 6' to 10' tall; more if you do not prune. Check them all to see which ones you like and review the estimated size at maturity, a commercial term for "after 10 years". Alice for example can get 10' by 10'. Oakleafs do require soil that drains well as they will get root rot if left in standing water for long periods of time. Limelight gets 6 by 6 but can reach taller heights if left unpruned.

Go to some hydrangea websites and check out their pictures and stats on paniculatas and oakleafs. www.hydrangeas.com, www.hydrangeasplus.com, www.nantuckethydrangea.com

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 3:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labwench(MI/Zone 5)

Thanks! Those are some of the ones I'm looking at so good to know I am on the right track. I especially appreciate the websites for more information!

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Temperatures supposed to be in mid-twenties...
Saturday night here in piedmont NC...I have seven fairly...
nini804
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Sponsored Products
Set of Five Flocked Christmas Tree Picks
Grandin Road
Accent Rug: Surf Time Go Surfing Multi Colored 39" x 58"
$49.97 | Home Depot
Set of Six Swordfish Green Picks
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Toothpick Holder by Alessi
$200.00 | Lumens
Chartreuse Pick-Me-Up Alarm Clock
$32.95 | Bellacor