Multi Colored Hydrangea

leannejhFebruary 7, 2009

Hi, I had a hydrangea, probably a macrophylla/mop head, that I loved and I would like to find another one with similar characteristics. The blooms were huge and ever changing in colors. Each head would usually start out lime green, then pink would start to flush in, then it would go into antique mode and turn lime green and maroon. Gorgeous, and excellent for cutting. Anyone know of one that has this color changing ability? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ostrich(3a AB)

Could this be one in the Kaleidoscope series? Let's see what the experts here think...

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 10:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The reality is that most macrophyllas will go through a series of colorations, with the whites producing the least amount of variability. Buds will typically be formed showing one color that will mature into something different. Then as the flowers age, the color will intensify then begin to fade to a more neutral tone. How much of this color change they produce depends a lot on weather and growing conditions as well as the fact that some cultivars tend to produce a wider range of color changes than others. Serratas will do this as well - 'Beni Gaku' is well known for this color change.

It is quite possible that it is one of the Hovaria series (aka Kaleidoscope), but it could be a number of other cultivars as well. IME, hydrangeas act very differently in different gardens in different locations :-)

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™