Potato & tomato, toxicity issues?

poultryguy(5b)July 15, 2007

Hello everyone,

After some peculiar thoughts from the day, and, doing some googling I just had to ask...

I've been pulling Solanum carolinense (horse nettle) from around my tomatos and eggplants for the last several weeks. Some of the horse nettle growing just outside the garden area are now in bloom. Are there any known instances of S. carolinense hybridizing with any of the cultivated Solanums or Lycopersicoides?

Granted, the addition of spines would not be welcomed... although, creating a perennial tomato with disease resistance to local pathogens would be stellar.

I also wondered about the toxicity of S. carolinense being transferred in to the tomato genome. How would one test for this without causing himself undue harm? This also came to mind years ago when I had heard mention of eating the "tomatos" produced by some potato plants after they'd flowered. It seemed pretty un-nerving to think of eating the fruit produced by a potato, I was always told it was toxic so saw no point in "taste testing" for myself.

Anyone privvy to Solanum hybrids and the results?

Regards,

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

Eggplant , pepper, tomato,tomatillo, tamerillo ,potato Japanees lanterns , pooha berries, are all related but can not cross breed . You do not eat the potato fruit that grows on the top of the potato plant, you wait till they are ripe the put them in a blender then separate the seeds then plant the seeds for new varieties .

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Plants for the most impatient hybridizers (i.e., students!)
I posted this message on the house plants forum before...
clibanarius
Sunflower Hand Pollinating
Hi everyone I have four varieties of sunflower that...
Squishy666
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the beautifully colored pole...
theodosiaunderwood
Lycoris spp. hybridization
Has anyone ever tried crossing Lycoris spp.? I have...
John_U
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™