Temperature for Rooting Chamber

brsucculents(9a)December 21, 2012

For those of you that use an aquarium heater to heat your rooting chamber, what temperature do you set the heater?
Randy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

I use a heat pad designed for reptiles and it generally keeps the rooting chamber at 20 degrees higher than ambient room temperature. I keep the pots of cuttings on a ceramic floor tile that sits directly above the heater.
You could also use an aquarium heater inside a jar of water or if it's an aquarium you could get a submersible heater and simply keep a couple inches of water in the bottom of the aquarium.

I would think that any temperature between 80-85F would be appropriate. I am sure my rooting chamber got hotter than that though and the plants loved it.

Mike

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 11:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brsucculents(9a)

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate the info. I've always rooted cuttings outside during the Summer where it was in the 90's with no problem. I took advantage of Joni's December sale. I've placed the cuttings in pots in seed starting domes but the night temps are kinda low right now. I think the reptile heating pad was a good idea but wasn't sure how hot it got.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Hoya?
Anyone know the name of this Hoya...about 3cm flower?...
marleneann
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
My Hoya onychoides
Hey all, my Hoya onychoides finally bloomed for the...
rennfl
baby incrassata update cont'd.
And here are the babies...I know they're much too young...
shelley7950
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™