Sugar and Cream - What do I do?

bkay2000(8a TX)May 25, 2012

This has developed in the last few days. It's possible that the pecan beards stuck in there are causing this, but all the hosta have them stuck in there. (They don't come out easily.) I bought S&C at the end of the season last year from Dallas' premier nursery. This is the largest of three eyes. The mottled leaves are all on that same eye. It's in well drained potting soil. It's on pot feet. We haven't had excess rain.

Is the mottling something to be concerned about? It's not on the other two eyes of this plant. It's not on the other Sugar and Cream or the other Plantaginea offspring.

bkay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Could be petiole rot.

The disease fungus produces small round fungal fruiting structures about the size of mustard seeds that appear at the base of the infected petioles. These structures, called sclerotia, are a cream color when young, but then progress to a dark, brick red color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Petiole Rot

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 7:59PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Oh yeah, I had that once on my albomarginata. When I took it out of the pot and pulled it apart, I saw that white stuff. I washed it and repotted it (2 pots) in new soil. It's fine.

It was huge and old and very thick. I attributed the growth of the bacteria to too heavy soil and being really crowded. This one's not crowded. It's not in heavy soil, as I just potted it up in my homemade mixture late last summer.

Well, whatever. I have another one (it was a gift this spring). My inclination is to toss the diseased one. (Both came from the same grower, or, at least have the same tag.) I'm short on space and don't need two of these. The second inclination is to clean it up and repot it and give it away. Could I just excise that eye and repot it, or will I have to wash it down to the roots like I did the albomarginata?

bkay

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:20PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I'd give it a bleach and water bath to kill any nasties.

Steve

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:07PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would just yank it out of there.. the single stem i mean ..

but i dont deal with a lot of crown rot ... but for severe drought

its more of a 'down south' problem [and that would loosely translate into hot muggy nights] ... hence one of its names is southern blight.. i think ..

the splotchies ... fast growth in spring..

ken

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 7:39AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

It's not rot. The roots are firm and firmly attached. There is none of that white "beady stuff".

What was unusual was a "worm" in the soil. It's about an inch long and a little bigger than a hair. They're light brown and move quickly.

Is it anything you know about? Any suggestions for search terms?

bkay

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
YEA PIPS!!!!!!
Oh, wait a minute, those are tulips. : {
Jon 6a SE MA
Uh-Oh!
I've been reading and trying to learn from you all......
sckndck
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night predicted!
I spent three hours covering hostas when I got home...
zkathy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™