two plants in one

keloelJuly 24, 2012

Hello,

I am going to visit a friend today who sent me a picture of a plant that started off its life as an arborvitae but then became what looks like a blue spruce. The bottom of the plant has all of the features of a typical arborvitae used in hedging (here in RI) but the top of the plant is different. It has all of the features of a blue spruce. I am going to photograph it and post it here but was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? I don't know yet if it's one plant growing straight through the stem of another or if it could be some kind seed/gene mix up? Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keloel

Here is one picture of the plant I am referencing in 7/24 post. The right hand side of the plant makes up 80% of the plant. The left hand side of the plant makes up the remaining 20%. The left hand side is one entire branch that is growing out of the main stem of the arborvitae (or dwarf pine?). It is NOT a separate stem with roots. Here the difference needles are visible.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:13AM
keloel

still trying to upload pic

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:20AM
keloel

Here it is from a distance.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:25AM
lunajade(6)

I am pretty sure what you have in NOT an arborvitae. It looks like the plant on the right is a dwarf Alberta Spruce. The plant on the left also looks like a type of spruce. Sometimes plants do produce what are called "sports". This just happens spontaneously. But it is very cool. Arborvitae don't produce needles. Their leaves are flattened and somewhat scale like. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the beautifully colored pole...
theodosiaunderwood
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™