Hummers Gone Already?

Eric580September 21, 2013

I live in western PA and my hummers have left for the season about three weeks ago. Some cold weather did blow through that week. Has anyone else in my area seen them leave early? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sara_in_philly

I haven't seen them for weeks, but Just spot one today. I live in Philly suburb.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:22PM
hummersteve

Im not in your area , Im in central indy and my last hummer was sighted on Oct . 8th. To your point that is an early departure for my area. At least the last couple of years its been around Oct 20. Every year is different , as an example- normal peak migration for me has always been most of august but this year peak time was mid-july, go figure.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

I saw my last hummer Oct. 13th, female RT, very pudgy. I took down all my feeders, except one. I keep it fresh. Last year, I kept one feeder up year 'round, and had one or two hummers that hung around. I hope to see more this year. (I hope my pic is attached)

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 9:39AM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Nana. don't you just love to see them looking pudgy-- every little bit is a survival advantage, poor little guys.

Thanks for the pic, mine have been gone for at least a week.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:12PM
hummersteve

As I mentioned above my last sighting was oct 8th and I was lucky to get a shot of that hummer perched on a stem of my large salvia blue ensign.

speaking of blue ensign heres a shot of two of them trying to buck each other both 6' tall and wide- notice how they dwarf the black and blue below them.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 2:46PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

Hi Hummersteve, Our hummers look like cousins! I hope you had a good hummer year. This was my worse. I had 6 feeders out, always clean and fresh, and only one week did I have 4 hummers feeding. Other weeks, I had only one or two. I have B&B planted nearby, and cuphea still blooming. Oh, well, maybe next year.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 7:54PM
hummersteve

Hi Nanaboo

My season was most likely average as I have had better seasons. One strange observation was that my prime hummer period was mid-july as opposed to the normal mid-august for my area.

Here a couple of shots from that july period.

this one was my favorite shot of the season- all males

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 11:43AM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

Fabulous! I am envious, I would love to have that many hummers around one of my feeders. Your pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Feeding schedule at weekend home
Greetings all, We get hummingbirds at our weekend home...
motherofdog
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™