News from NW Florida

srfultonSeptember 4, 2012

I started feeding Hummers last year and wanted to find out everything I could about these guys. Had about 12 at one time in my yard last Sept. after puting up feders and hanging up red cups to mark my yard for them to come and enjoy. Started my garden litle by litle late in the year and continued this year and have notivced that a few much stay here during the spring because I have seen about 4 visit my garden every since June and now have about 7 or 8 running around my garden and the feeders. Cant wait till the ones in the north start coming back from Canada and New York. These guys love the cigar plant the most but they will test out any flower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hummersteve

Yes they do like and use the cigar plant here too but and will use every bloom in the garden during migration. But top dog in my garden year in and year out is salvia guaranitica either "blue ensign" or "black and blue". Blue ensign is larger than black and blue.

salvia black and blue

in the foreground is black and blue and blue ensign in the rear, blue ensign is 5' plus

black and blue blooms

blue ensign with the green calyx

two blue ensign in the rear side by side.

blue ensign does not get this big in one year this about 5 seasons of growth the payoff is the hummers love it.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Hummingbird Sounds
I'm trying to see how close I can get the camera to...
tmc2009
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
what to do about bully rufous?
I have a Rufous visitng for the past week or so. He...
catwhiskas
Squirrel problems
I have several resident squirrels who seem to be attracted...
Jenn.B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™