Mopheads

sandi22February 8, 2011

When is the best time to plant a mophead? I live in Southern CA where the climate is mild to hot year round.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Plant whichever weeks your temperatures are coolest and there is less heat and water stress on the shrub. In your climate, I think you'll want a site with filtered to partial sun, planted facing east if possible where it's not in the strong afternoon light.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 11:23AM
Hydrangea729(6A Ohio)

Good luck growing hydrangeas in Southern California!

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 6:49PM
gardengal48

Hydrangeas grow beautifully in SoCal! Coastal SoCal is better suited than the hotter/drier interior areas but otherwise, very few limitations as to even the best time for planting. Whenever!! There are some issues to keep in mind - shade during the hottest part of the day and perhaps a need to create a specialized planting area with pH-adjusted soil. And if you have issues in your area with drought and the municipal encouragement of xeric or waterwise plants, you might want to rethink hydrangeas altogether.

My sister lives just south of Laguna Beach and has a quite shady courtyard garden that has a bunch of hydrangeas, both planted and in containers. They slow down a bit in winter but otherwise never seem to go completely dormant or lose all their foliage and can produce blooms at nearly any time of the year. She often comes home with some new florist's hydrangea "find" she picked up at Trader Joe's or the grocery and after a week or two indoors, she plants them out as well.

Sunset's Western Garden Book recommends mopheads (Hydrangea macrophylla) and most other species for all California climate zones except the high desert area of interior Southern California (Barstow, Victorville, Palm Springs, etc). If you can grow hydrangeas in Texas, you can for sure grow them in most of California!

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™