Asiatic lily hybrid?

tom_h_88July 24, 2003

Hey,

I put a plastic bag over the bud of a orange asatic lily and as it opened i removed the stigmas so there was no pollen. Later I got pollen from a red asiatic lily and put on the orange asiatic. Now, a few months later a nice big pod is developing, bigger than the self polinated orange asiatics. Any way, back to the point. Do you think this will produce a good looking hybrid? If so, what do you predict it will look like?

Thanks

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Since you are using hybrid parents, you can expect a fair amount of variation in the seedlings. Probably though, most of the seedlings will be orange with a few shading into reddish orange. Seedlings will most likely be a typical asiatic in stature and shape. Breeding the orange out of Asiatics to get a true red is fairly hard as the yellow is from an oil soluble color and the red from a water soluble color and they are controlled by different genes.

George

Bookmark   July 28, 2003 at 8:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_h_88

Thanks!
I'll try to grow on as many as I can once they germinate. I was hoping on geting a red streak or something down the centre of the petals of the orange lily. If I do get a good result i'll post a pic here.
Tom

Bookmark   July 28, 2003 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the beautifully colored pole...
theodosiaunderwood
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
Anyone breeding blackberries for zone 4
Tired of zone 5 blackberries that can not handle zone...
jerry63
Lycoris spp. hybridization
Has anyone ever tried crossing Lycoris spp.? I have...
John_U
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™