Cuke-e-loupe

yaquigrande(6)August 4, 2008

I pulled this from one of my cucumber plants today. I am growing Minnesota Midget melons nearby in containers. The taste is sweet but not too strong. The smell is all cucumber.

I wonder if this kind of thing is common given that the two plants are related. It is the only one I've seen so far. This is the first time I've grown the two plants in the same season.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

They can cross although it is rare . The Armenian "guta " cuke is actually a melon . Save the seeds and start a new vegetable .

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 11:54AM
remy_gw

Your plant is not a cross of the Minnesota Midget melons growing near your cucumbers. A cross between them would happen in the seeds and would present itself next year's seedlings. But that wouldn't happen anyway. Cucumbers and melons don't cross in the garden.
Did you buy the cucumber seeds(or plants) you are growing? Or did you save seeds from plants you grew last year?
Remy

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 10:27PM
yaquigrande(6)

I bought the seeds. I guess the thing that intrigues me is that this is clearly two different fruits. If you look at the picture you can clearly see that one side is organized like a cucumber and the other is organized like a cantaloupe. Also, the flesh has the consistency of a cantaloupe. The taste of the fruit was not like a cucumber at all but a subtle sweet cantaloupe. The last thing is the "cantaloupe" pattern on one side of the fruit. I definitely pulled this off a cucumber plant. Someone else said that it was more of a "chimera" since the fruit showed definite characteristics of both a cucumber and a melon.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 8:16PM
jamesmaloy

cantaloupes and cukes will most certainly cross in the garden. I have to ask where else could they cross. Not being a smart butt either really curious. They are related and bees don't dicriminate with pollen. This how so many new variety's of squash, beans, gourds etc got their start.
James

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 9:59PM
rockguy(7a)

This cross didn't happen this year. IF it is a cross and not just a mutation, then it happened in the field where your purchased seeds were grown last year. Got it?

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 11:23AM
champloo

Thats a cool lookin cuke-e-loupe. Wish i could try a bite. Deffinately save those seeds. And maybe send me a few :P :D

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Sunflower Hand Pollinating
Hi everyone I have four varieties of sunflower that...
Squishy666
Weird green echinacea
This summer one of my echinaceas bloomed green---all...
Cindi McMurray
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Anyone breeding blackberries for zone 4
Tired of zone 5 blackberries that can not handle zone...
jerry63
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™