Can different Viburnum spp. cross-polinate eachother mutually?

njbiologyAugust 21, 2007

Hi,

I want to plant edible, non-cultivar viburnums which are native to my local area (Northern New Jersey). These would be: V. lentago (Nannyberry); V. Prunifolium (Blackhaw); & V. trilobum (Cranberrybush). In addition, I would plant V. nudum (Witherod) which is not edible.

QUESTION:

Must I plant a pair of EACH individual specie in order for polination to occur for fruiting, or will they mutually polinate eachother, despite being different species?

Note: I do understand that when they are of the same specie, them must not be too closely related (i.e. two Viburnum lentagos must not come from the same mother plant); I am just wondering if, for instance, V. lentago and V. nudum, etc. could sucessfully polinate eachother.

Thanks,

Steve

p.s.: If anyone is growing an American Persimmon or Salix discolor that is greater then 20', please let me know - I'm looking for a full photo beyond the score of what I could find online.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistercross(z6b Ozarks)

You got an answer of "yes" in another GardenWeb thread. All of those you mention have 18 chromosomes.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
Oak Hybrid Questions
I live in Memphis, TN. I have 2 questions. 1st - Is...
DeltaTropicsGuy
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
Sunflower Hand Pollinating
Hi everyone I have four varieties of sunflower that...
Squishy666
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™