Info on little lime

tulips101(5a sterling il.)March 11, 2013

I was thinking about putting 2 little lime hydrangeas or 2 little lambs in the front of my hoise im going to take out 5 evergreenns that have seen there better days.But the house is white and i was thinking little lime might be better contrast.
Would anyone have maybe some better ideas i would like to keep in the 5 foot range it getts a good amount of shade and faces north im in zone 5.
Im new at this maybe someone might even have better ideas about some flowering shrubs for this place it would be 2 on west side then 2 on east side with a cement porch in the middle.
Isure could use some help thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Paniculatas do not need much shade -- in fact, they will grow better and produce heavier flowering if given a fair amount of sun (even full sun). Little Lime starts out green but eventually whitens and then turns pink. It does have a greater range of color than Little Lamb and will stay smaller, so perhaps a better choice.

What about a regular big leaf hydrange? These are far more desirous of a shadier location and most of the reblooming cultivars are fully hardy for your area without winter protection as well as offering much more intensely colored flowers. Many of these are also much more compact in habit than the non-rebloomers and can be more easily pruned to size anyway. Some to consider are H. macrophylla Endless Summer, Twist 'n Shout, Let's Dance Starlight, Mini Penny and Pistachio.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™