Hybridizing Nasturtium

davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))August 19, 2008

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has done nasturtium crossing and if you could share some of your experiences. My main interest is in th flower colors and patterns.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berrytea4me(Z5 CO)

Hi,
I don't work with nasurtium but I love them and the advancements in foliage patterns has been lovely.

There are a few people here who do work with annuals (search on zinnia for some interesting posts) which I think may give you some good basic information though not specific to the plants you are working with.

I'm currently experimenting with asiatic lilies, daylilies, and bearded iris. Perennials are a bit different in that they are typically propagated asexually once you have a seedling with the characteristics you like. Whereas for annuals, mainman just explained to me that you have to "dehybridize" (ie. select the single type for multiple generations) them to get a consistent output by seed.

Nasturtiums are a simple flower form and readily produce seed that germinates easily so the physical act of hybridizing them should be straight forward.

What are your specific questions? There might be something one could draw on from working with other plants to help answer them.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Pink Turk's Cap 'Pam Puryear'
Thanks in advance for any helpful answers to my question....
GAV65
native plum graft
i want to improve wildlife feed. we have a lot of native...
croatankid
Plants for the most impatient hybridizers (i.e., students!)
I posted this message on the house plants forum before...
clibanarius
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Do Echinacea and Rudbeckia cross pollinate if planted together?
Hello, I need some expert knowledge! I have Echinacea...
petarkostov
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™