ENORMOUS cherry tomato

lylehaleAugust 9, 2013

Well then, how about this one. I had a unknown variety of tomato I had seed saved for 2 seasons. It was a volunteer when I decided to grow it next season. It grew short 4 feet tall both years and had small baseball sized irregularshaped pink fruit. It set easy and had clusters of 7 flowers. I looked forward to growing it this year and when it grew out I was shocked to find these. now I got these, and the plant is 7' tall with over 60 set fruit. I was racking my brain as to what happened and I had a cherry last season 15 feet away. I am thinking the 7ft is hybrid vigor. They are structured inside like a cherry. They almost remind me of a campari. I dunno but they taste GREAT.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Not sure where you are zone wise, but if you're in love with the tomato, it might be worth taking a cutting before it gets cold and overwintering indoors and then plant out clones of that plant in the springtime.

Save as much seed as you can and grow as many as you can next year. Maybe try crossing the f2 with with f1 parent clone. Keep saving seed and selecting for similarity to the original parent. You may end up with a 'stabilized' version of the original parent after a few generations of breeding.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

"They are structured inside like a cherry."

Can you elaborate on this? What are the traits of a cherry tomato? I'm trying to understand the differences between cherry and non cherry tomatoes.

Jim

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Plants for the most impatient hybridizers (i.e., students!)
I posted this message on the house plants forum before...
clibanarius
Sunflower Hand Pollinating
Hi everyone I have four varieties of sunflower that...
Squishy666
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Why are so many apple crosses mediocre?
I am recently learning about plant breeding. I now...
Scott F Smith
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™