Can 'Early Blue' really be moved outdoors?

bobmark226(5 Woodstock, NY)March 18, 2008

I know the common wisdom about florist Hydrangeas as not being able to be transplanted outdoors, but over the weekend I picked up a gorgeous deep blue, almost purple, one labelled Early Blue from Kurt Weiss, apparently a mass distribtuor of flowering plants (www.kurtweiss.com).

The tag clearly states "Plant in part sun to full shade in rich, organic well-drained soil.....etc. etc."

Anyone have any experience with Early Blue? Is this perhaps an outdoor specimen that's now being sold as a potted plant?

TIA,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

"Hydrangea macrophylla ÂEarly Blue was launched at the Dutch flower auctions in 2006" - so seems bred for cut flower/florists trade.

"produce six or more flower heads as well as sturdy stems that need no support. Thanks to its compact size and the relatively small leaves ÂEarly Blue is not easily damaged in transport. "

The florists type macrophyllas can be transplanted outdoors after hardening off (greenhouse grown so tender like an annual when you purchase them), but you have to keep in mind these have been on a temp, light, fertilizer regime to produce large blooms at a particular time of year (i.e. holiday, Easter) without regard to overall plant health. Sometimes they are long lived and productive in your garden but there is also the possibility they will never live up to your expectations outdoors.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Besa Lighting | Bree 26 Outdoor Wall Sconce
$463.50 | YLighting
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bronze Umbrella Table Outdoor L
Home Depot
Chimes of Your Life - John 3:16 - Cross - Memorial Wind Chime - JOHN3-16-CROSS-1
$45.87 | Hayneedle
Indoor/Outdoor Blue Ikat Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Kona Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Starpoint Glass
$445.50 | Bellacor
Gridiron Coffee Table in Silver
$650.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™