Attacked by the lawn mower

cherry67(6)March 19, 2013

So last year my husband bought what I believe was "Forever & Ever" and planted it in the front yard. Before he even put it in the yard it wasn't looking as healthy as it should, some of e leaves and flower seemed to be suffering from a fungus that was turning them brown. He apparently got sick of looking at it as it got pretty bad and to my dismay ran over it with the lawnmower. So now it's VERY low to the ground, but it does get some leaves trying to grow on it(no flowers yet). Should I expect it to grow to it's full potential, do you think it will ever recover? I am not very experienced with hydrangeas, but I did read they can be cut back, just not sure if being this extreme counts or not....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

It may recover. Sounds like it may have suffered from Powdery Mildew and-or some watering issues. Many mopheads in your zone will have stems that dry out during winter and grow again from the base crown. The F&E Series are rebloomers so they could bloom much later this year.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherry67(6)

Thanks, I hope it recovers. I think I had pinpointed the fungus by looking at photos online, but I can't remember the name of it now. The changing temperatures have not been kind this spring I know that much. It will get a few leaves then they wilt from the cold, get a few more leaves and wilt again. I wish spring would make up its mind. :/

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™