Muscadine seeds

kristina_1979September 20, 2009

I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would like to plant seeds from fruit.How do I do that?Do I directly sow seeds in ground?Do I plant whole muscadine or just seeds?How many seeds do I plant?How long will it take to germinate?I need directions ASAP.Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boizeau(7a)

What was the parent vine?
6 lbs of seeds would be a whole lot of seedlings.
Why so many are needed?
I put my seeds into a 5 gallon container.........."About 30 seeds", in the fall, and let them winter over outdoors to stratify. They should be barely covered with about 1/4 to 1/3 inch of soil. In the late spring, when soils warm up, the seedlings will germinate. Can't imagine you would need to plant 6 lbs of them.
I am looking for seeds of a variety called "Southern Home".

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 5:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garymc(7 S.E.Mo)

Muscadine seeds do not come back to be the variety of the parent plant. To get the same variety, you need asexual propagation such as layering or air layering. Muscadines are also very difficult to propagate from cuttings. You need a misting bed for that. I get a lot of volunteers around my muscadines from seeds that have fallen. I'd like to try growing some of them, but I don't want to waste 2 or 3 years and the space they take up only to find that a vine doesn't bear grapes, or the grapes aren't good, or the vine is susceptible to disease. That's what universities do in their research programs and I'm happy to take advantage of their research. Dr, Dennis Lane of the University of Florida has released a variety named Delicious which is disease resistant, self fertile, productive, and good tasting. You can search ebay or amazon in the early spring for "delicious muscadines" and find some places that sell them. Or search for southern home.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 4:36AM
More Discussions
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Turnip breeding results .
I have been trying to cross purple top x Shogun . I...
jerry63
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Savannah Collection Burnished Chestnut 3-lig
Home Depot
Elk Lighting Tuscany Coast Weathered Charcoal Wall Sconce
$138.00 | LuxeDecor
Radius Garden Natural Radius Grip Pro Spade - R02 201X
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lanterns. Parisian 3-Light 29 in. Wall Lantern - Arm Up with Fluted Seed
Home Depot
Lafitte Clear Glass One-Light Table Lamp with SC Paperweave Shade
$425.00 | Bellacor
Minka Lavery Irvington Manor Bronze Outdoor Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Kingston White One Light Outdoor Wall Light with Clear Seeded Glass
$88.00 | Bellacor
First Birds Choice 'Prairie' Steel Birdfeeder
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™