Nikko blue snowball bush vs regular hydrangea?

rjingaMarch 4, 2009

Is this the same plant or 2 different types of hydrangea plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Rjinga, I think you're being confused by someones use (misuse) of common names - it's hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue. The macrophyllas are often referred to as Lacecap, Bigleaf, French, Mophead....in this part of the country at least 'snowball bush' is a viburnum and there is no viburnum Nikko Blue.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 11:11AM
rjinga

after doing further research on TN Nursery (wholesale nursery also known as D&T) I guess I should not be surprised..

here is how their website lists this plant. which merges both terms into the description...I checked them out on daves garden, garden watchdog, and it was pretty bad reviews.

nikko blue Snowball Bush Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue ('Nikko Blue; Hydrangea) The Nikko Blue Hydrangea has blue blossoms on a plant with a strong constitution which make Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue' one of the best

Hydrangeas Hydrangeas produce some of the biggest and most beautiful flowers in the garden. New England is probably the hydrangea capital of the world. Take a drive through Cape Cod on a summer day, and most likely, you will witness a fantastic array of show-stopping hydrangea blooms. Types: The LaceCaps Lace Cap hydrangeas are large leafed varieties with flat flowers. The flowers are small in the middle and around the outside they have larger, ¾ of an inch size flowers with four petals. This is type of hydrangea often seen Cape Cod. They prefer morning sun and afternoon shade, but will tolerate full sun or as little as 3-4 hours of sun. Popular Lace Cap varieties: ÂLace Cap Improved  Large growing to about 4-5 tall and 3-4 wide. Flowers range from pinkish-purple to blue.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 12:01PM
gslgal(5a)

I've seen macrophylla's referred to as "snowball bushes" usually by places that don't bother to list hardiness zones let alone latin names!

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™