Restoring fertility to triploid grasses.

tqpl(UK south)September 22, 2003

Hi Group,

There is much sterility amoung ornamental grasses as they are triploids. I was wondering if there is any evidence that the use of chromosome doubling techniques would restore a breeding capability? Can any one offer evidence of this technique working or speculate on the theoretical possibility of success in grasses. Interested primarily in genus Panicum and Miscanthus.

Thanks for any input

Best regards

Alan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dirtmonkey(z8 OR)

Hexaploidy is relatively common in grasses, both in cultivated cereals and in wild plants. I couldn't find anything specific on what you wanted, but chromosome doubling with oryzalin or such, I would think would get some fertile hexaploids and allow further breeding, even with the interspecific hybrids.

There is also the possibility that by repeated pollination with diploid and tetraploid pollens that you might someday get a seed or two that's more fertile. It happens in other plants, and succeeding generations can improve fertility further. Probably take an ocean of patience though.

The caution is that these grasses can be extremely weedy and invasive when fertile, so you'd have to be very careful to keep them in bounds. We sure don't need another alien weed!

Vincent

Bookmark   October 18, 2003 at 12:29AM
tqpl(UK south)

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for your input. I was interested to hear about repeated pollination techniques as a way to restore fertility by sheer dogged determination. I know of that working with Paphiopedilums and triploid Cymbidiums.
There is some evidence that colchicine is more effective than oryzalin (Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences 2003)) at least in-vitro so will probably go that route Thanks for the flag about fertile grass weeds. My prime interest is to increase breeding possibilities before later selecting of infertile non-breeding forms.
Thanks again.
Alan

Bookmark   October 21, 2003 at 7:22AM
ceres_grass

Alan,

Did you have any luck doubling the triploid Miscanthus with colchicine to get a fertile hexaploid seed??

Thanks
Gerald

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Beginner Needs Tips :)
I've recently started getting into the idea of hybridizing I'm...
Squishy666
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the beautifully colored pole...
theodosiaunderwood
Muscadine seeds
I have 6lbs of muscadine seeds.(dark purple)I would...
kristina_1979
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
Sponsored Products
Hollow Tine Aerator
$24.99 | zulily
Dandelion Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Village Beige Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$301.80 | Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Lydia Screen - 6337
Great Furniture Deal
Safavieh Natural Fiber Natural/ Light Blue Sisal Sea Grass Rug (2'6 x 16')
Overstock.com
Gilmour Adjustable Hand Reel Mower with Grass Catcher - 1240-3010
$159.99 | Hayneedle
Decorative Leather Round Pillows (Set of 2) - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Oxygen Lighting | Beacon Wall Sconce
$164.60 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™