Need Hoya ID please

greybird_kekeDecember 18, 2012

I think this is a common variety, so maybe it won't need to be in bloom for someone to identify it.
Thanks, Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Not so sure about that. Could we pls. see another pix w/ a size reference for scale (your fingers near a leaf, or a pencil in the foreground)?

I'm asking 'cause w/out any size reference, those leaves look rather slender to me, which w/ that variegation MIGHT make it not all that common.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 5:49PM
ohmybloomers(7a)

That looks like my variegated kentiana, but I'm relatively new to hoyas so I wouldn't swear to it since other hoyas also have skinny leaves. Was it pricey - where did you find it?

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 7:07PM
mdahms1979

I have to agree that it appears to be Hoya kentiana. The variegated form of this species is still pretty new on the scene and it's anything but common.

Nice plant!

Mike

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 7:25PM
greybird_keke

Thanks everyone, the leaves are about 3 1/2x 1/2", and it's in a 4 inch pot. I picked it out of a tray of carnosa and paid $4.99 for it.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 8:02PM
Aggie2(10a)

Greybird,
I would say you got great deal, and it looks like H. kentiana. Where did you find it (nursery or big box store)? Happy growing, it looks great!

Aggie

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 11:15PM
greybird_keke

Thanks Aggie, I got it at a nursery...one of my favorites, because they always have well grown plants in smaller pots for a good price.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:04AM
teisa(6)

Hi greybird, welcome to the forum. I love your variegated Kentiana!! I grow the all green variety. Would you mind telling us what state you live in? And possibly nursery name? I'm sure others would really like to know also. So welcome and good luck with your beauty.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:58AM
greybird_keke

Thank you, Teisa! I live in Southeast Missouri, and got the kentiana at a nursery near St. Louis called Bayer's...one of my favorite places to stop when I'm in the area! I grow all my plants under lights in the winter, mostly begonias and succulents. I have two other Hoyas at the moment, a kerrii and obovata 'silver spot'.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:53PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well I'm glad Mike confirmed its ID & that it's not common. Happens I've never seen that & while I don't grow green Kentiana, I have seen it. I've certainly never seen this Hoya around (am crazy for variegates, would buy it if I did).

Welcome Greybird (I like your 'handle'). Any chance you could return to the nursery to check if there are any more of these? If so, & you're willing, could you pls. buy some for us & I'd swap you for some in the Spring?

Nice plant, enjoy!!

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Hoya ID Needed
I just bought this beautiful plant at a local garden...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Whatcha got blooming?
It's dark and gray up here in the Pacific NW. No hoya...
aurorawa
testing testing....
Are you guys uploading photos from your computer, or...
shelley7950
Hoya mac "nesbit river"
Even though is only one flower i am excited to see...
sweethearth2015
My frozen hoya
Last week our temps dropped down below 30 degrees and...
ima_digger
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™