NO Flowers

clagaMarch 6, 2010

Hi,

My daughter gifted my wife a Hydrangea (don't know the variety) that has producted only 1 large deep blue flower in 5 years. We in Massachusetts and the hydrangea was planted on the south side of our home and recieved full sun most of the day. It produced beautiful lust deep green leaves but no flowers.

Two years ago we planted a Quick Fire White Hydrangea in the small sun location and it grew very large and produces flowers all summer.

Last year I moved the gifted hydrangea to the back of the house were it recieves morning sun. Again no flowers.

Is there anyway to indentify the variety?

Thank you please send information and help, we'd love to have it flower.

All helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Blue flowers would indicate some variety of macrophylla or bigleaf hydrangea. Most macrophyllas bloom on old wood or growth that was produced the previous season. The number one reason these plants fail to bloom is because of damage to the overwintering flower buds, either due to cold or removal due to pruning. In zones below 7, it is recommended that these plants receive protection in winter to ensure the buds are unharmed by cold. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find various discussions on how to go about offering winter protection to encourage flowering.

If this seems like too much of a chore, there are some newer introductions, like the Endless Summer series, that bloom on both old and new wood and do not necessarily require protection to achieve flowering. I'd avoid pruning these types (any macrophylla) if at all possible, except to remove dead wood.

'Quick Fire' is a cultivar of H. paniculata and that type of hydrangea blooms on new growth. No protection is required and they can be pruned back hard in early spring if necessary.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™