Hybridizing anemones?

twroszSeptember 6, 2005

Was wondering if I could cross Japanese anemones with the spring/summer blooming anemone sylvestris? If so, any special method for freezing the pollen of the Japanese hybrids? Thanks!

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
admmad

They both have the same chromosome number [2n=16] (although there are references to a tetraploid version of sylvestris 2n=32); a hybrid between the two may not have fertility problems due to mispairing (at least not due to chromosome number differences).

If you have successfully frozen pollen from other species I would suggest using the same method. If not you could try collecting pollen on a q-tip, making certain it is dry and freezing the q-tip in a container. Whatever method you use you could test it in the autumn by collecting some pollen, freezing it for a few days and trying it with crosses on the japanese anemones.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 11:46AM
twrosz

Thank you for your comments, I shall go ahead and collect the pollen and see what later comes of things!

Terry

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 10:12PM
charlie-ia

did you have any luck yet?

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 4:01PM
twrosz

Charlie-ia, I had up and forgotten to attempt to do so ... though, might reconsider it. Rather, I've been focusing on the hybridization of very cold hardy roses.

Terry

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 6:18PM
charlie-ia

thanks for replying. I guess i'll have no excuse for not giving it a go myself then.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
Tomatillo hybrids?
I grow tomatillos, usually from the abundant volunteers...
jimster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™