Tomato's and nightshade (Probably a dumb question.)

aspergersgamerSeptember 9, 2007

Is it possable too cross Tomoto's and deadly nightshade? There both nightshade, but i'm clueless. Any help please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Aspergersgamer,

When I was growing up on a farm, we grew tomatoes in our garden and deadly nightshade was a fairly common weed in a nearby field. I was concerned at the time that bees might cross the two and produce tomatoes whose hybrid seeds might be toxic. None of us died from eating our tomatoes, but I certainly wouldn't deliberately cross the two.

Ironically, there was a time over a hundred years ago when tomatoes themselves were thought to be poisonous. If memory serves, tomatoes were referred to as "love apples."

MM

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 11:42PM
aspergersgamer

Thanks for the reply Maineman, it's quite helpfull, But it's safe too cross them aslong as you put them in a fenced area, and there not eaten. Plus i think it would only effect the plant of the tomato, not the tomatos themselfs. (Confusing, but eh.) Thanks again Maineman.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 3:54AM
maineman(z5a ME)

Aspergersgamer,

"... I think it would only affect the plant of the tomato, not the tomatoes themselves."

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The black berries of the Deadly Nightshade are themselves poisonous, so the F1 hybrids would very possibly have poisonous berry-tomatoes. After all, a tomato is botanically a berry. Incidentally, that's the answer to the old question of whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. It's neither. It's a berry.

MM

Bookmark   September 11, 2007 at 1:27AM
amphibian

But MM, berries are a fruit, a fruit with multiple seeds contained in pulp, which was produced from a single ovary.

So tomatoes are a fruit.

TBH the definition of a vegetable is hazy, and certainly not scientific, any edible part of a plant can be considered a vegetable, so logically a tomato is a fruit, vegetable and a berry.

Under US tax law a tomato is a vegetable.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:49AM
keking(z6 TN)

I hope we're not confusing Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna) and the Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum), which has fruit that are edible if cooked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum
Neither crosses with the tomato.
Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: CybeRose & Bulbs

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Freezing pollen
So, does anyone do this? Has anyone tried this? Would...
tete_a_tete
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Daffodils from seed
Hi everybody! It's time to start thinking about pollinating...
daffodilhunter
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
hybridizing euphorbias
Hello All, Does anyone have experience hybridizing...
t_tyler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™