Photos of my fall migration visitors

ams2009September 24, 2012

This one had a deformed bill, poor thing!

I was so happy to see this Female Rufous at my feeders!! She was the 2nd rufous visitor I have had, had a male rufous visit last fall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir(z5 detroit)

Wow wow wow! Great pictures, at first I was going to say I like the 1st one best, then I scrolled down & I love them all! The midair shots are nice, I love the way I can see their little claws curled up. The one with the deformed bill, is very interesting. Feathers all fanned out, etc, just a great group of pics. Thanks for posting, now I get to see some hummers, since they seem to have all left Detroit.

What kind of feeder is that? It looks like glass but I can't tell.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:17PM
msomally

Awesome pics!!!

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 11:53AM
ams2009

Thank you so much jomuir! I am in Baton Rouge, LA and most of mine are gone now too, just one or two a day visiting feeders. I am hoping to get some western species that visit Louisiana for winter, so I am keeping my feeders up and filled!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:23PM
ams2009

Thank you so much, msomally! :)

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:24PM
denali2007

Great pictures.What kind of camera are you using?

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:13PM
denali2007

Great pictures.What kind of camera are you using?

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:14PM
ams2009

Thank you denlali_2007! It's a canon rebel xs, shot these with 55-250mmIS lens. This is my first dslr, I have had it about 3 years now, am thinking about upgrading. I Love the xs though, it has been a great camera and great to learn with!

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 10:02AM
Geneh7

Great photographs! I had more hummingbirds at my 9 feeders this fall than ever before. They have all gone on south now except for 4 or 5. Keeping the feeders filled up was getting to be work. I'm just guessing but I must have had at least 100 hummers at the peak.

How long did the female Rufous stay with you? I had a Rufous stay last winter from November 27 until January 16.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 7:24PM
ladyrose65

Those are amazing pictures!

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:18PM
No-mom

You are so lucky to have had such a wonderful bunch of visitors! I live in Alberta, Canada and we are lucky to see 2 or 3 at our feeder. My mother-in -law has a little better luck but their stay in our area is quite short. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 8:28PM
nanaboo(z8BRLA)

To AMS 2009:
I notice you live in Baton Rouge, LA. I am so excited, as I believe I spotted a female Rufous this morning , first time to see a Rufous! I am anxiously watching if she returns.Please e-mail me: Joyceboone@cox.net

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 11:31AM
ams2009

ladyrose65, Thank you!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 3:56PM
ams2009

Geneh7, Nice pic! My rufous only stayed around a few days. But, I ended up having a black-chinned hummer show up at my feeders on December 13, 2012, he turned out to be my 1st official winter hummer. He stayed for over 2 months. I assumed he was a Ruby-throat at first, because he sounded like a Ruby, so I didn't take a closer look. A few days after he showed up, I happened to notice the sound of the wing whir as he was flying away from a feeder and it got my attention because it didn't sound like a Ruby wing whir at all, then I realized that I had yet to see a red gorget, so I started to pay closer attention and I finally got a glimpse of the purple gorget. I Never managed to get a really nice photo showing the gorget though, I am hoping he comes back this winter!

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Splish Splash
Just took this on a very cool, breezy morning at about...
shillanorth Z4 AB
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Sponsored Products
Dale Tiffany Pink Flamingo Candle Holder
$79.99 | LuxeDecor
Tilo Smart Lighting 20 1/2"H Rub Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Olla Owl Collage Frame
$11.99 | zulily
Sports Team Vertical Frame
Home Decorators Collection
Serena & Lily French Tassel Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Crown Select Golden Espresso 72-Inch Ceiling Fan with Chocolate Solid Wood Blade
$588.00 | Bellacor
Uptown 6-Drawer Dressing Chest
Home Decorators Collection
Serta Revival Euro Top Twin-size Mattress and Foundation Set
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™