Snails or worms?

bunnygurl(Z3)December 4, 2009

I was watering my Hoya Crimson Queen like 10mins ago and I found critters that look like either snails or curled up worms. I couldn't get great pictures, hopefully they'll be good enough. If anyone can tell what they are, are they beneficial or should I get rid of them? One was stuck to the outside of the pot and fell off when I moved the pot...and now I can't find it...I hate buggies...yuck.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

Looks like those little snails I see sometimes when pot plants are outside. I just knock them off.

Dee

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:29PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Definitely looks like snails to me. They love eating my new growths on some of my hoyas that I have underneath my palm trees.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:55PM
bunnygurl(Z3)

But...it's never been outside...

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 9:23PM
mdahms1979

Those are what are commonly reffered to as bush snails and they can pose a problem with some plants. Snails tend to eat holes in leaves and other tender parts of plants but they probably don't pose much of a threat to most Hoyas other than thin leaved species. Bush snails are often in pots from nurseries where they can get out of control in chunkier mixes used for plants like orchids.
If you start noticing holes eaten out of your plants leaves or tender new growth that has been eaten off you cab bet it was the snails. Snail and slug bait is easy to get at most garden centers.

Mike

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 9:24PM
denise_gw

Ew... Though I'd probably rather fight snails off than mealies, I'm glad I don't have them in addition to mealies. Good luck with them buggers!

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 10:50PM
bunnygurl(Z3)

Yeah...I just finally got a mealie infestation under control with my cacti and succulents and now I have snails, but it's only a couple. I picked them off (the shells seemed empty though) but I'll keep an eye out for holes and more shells.

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 6:56PM
beachplant(9b)

They sneak in from the nurseries, their eggs hiding in those nice chunky mixes like Mike said. Thanks for the name of them btw, I always wondered. They are a big problem here as they don't get frozen in winter. Add in the big brown garden snails, which I understand are the same ones eaten in France, and you have a big mess. These little guys seem to prefer my brugs. Once in a while I find a big one on the hoyas but for the most part they leave hoyas alone. Unless the hoyas are in pots on the ground, then they do go after that new growth. I hate snails!

Tally HO!

Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Any tips on how to NOT kill this new Fishtail Hoya
I walked into lowes this morning and found this large...
tlbean2004
succulent leafed hoyas
Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have...
pal123
Where to get Hoya Cuttings or starts (from Canada)
Hello, I have a few Hoya's, but I would like to add...
rcharles_gw
Here we go (again!!!)
Just put in a huge order with Epiphytica. Lol. I swear,...
aurorawa
Help my beloved hoya...
This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush...
plumerias
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™