Quick blooming flowers.

kokoro-aiNovember 21, 2007

I need help in finding a few flowers that can germinate and bloom quicker than most, and that are capable of being crossed with themselves.

If you know of any, it'd be a big help.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Greetings,

Zinnias can bloom in 6 to 8 weeks from seed, so you might want to consider them. They come in a wide variety of colors, flower forms, and plant habits. So there are an almost limitless number of interesting crosses that you can make with zinnias.

They are relatively easy to grow, they grow fast, and they are easy to cross-pollinate. In many places you can get two generations in one year, so you could make your crosses in the Spring, plant "green" seeds from them in the Summer, and see your hybrid blooms in the Fall, hybridize them as you see fit, and save seeds from them before Winter to continue the process the following Spring. Or, if you are impatient to continue without a delay, you could grow those hybrids-of-hybrids seeds indoors under lights or in a greenhouse.

For more information, see the It can be fun to breed your own zinnias message thread in the Annuals forum.

MM

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sambal(z8 Seattle WA)

Hi. Most Dianthus come to flower rather quicky, esp. if the first sowing is done in the winter and set out early in spring. Around here Z8 they often grow year 'round. I have three in bloom right now. (Gaiety Mixed). Although that is unusual, even for here. Hope this is of some help. Sambal

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
hybridizing euphorbias
Hello All, Does anyone have experience hybridizing...
t_tyler
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Do Echinacea and Rudbeckia cross pollinate if planted together?
Hello, I need some expert knowledge! I have Echinacea...
petarkostov
tumble weed crossbreeds?
Has anyone crossed the tumble weed with anything ?...
farmfreedom
Oak Hybrid Questions
I live in Memphis, TN. I have 2 questions. 1st - Is...
DeltaTropicsGuy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™