What can I expect?

jeanneNovember 16, 2004

I imagine this forum gets the following kind of question a lot, so apologies if it's tedious.

I grew some Ipomoea Akatsuki No Umi (deep blue) seeds this year from plants that were interplanted with Yojiri (pink). The seeds I started were typical for Akasuki No Umi, but one of the plants had cornflower blue blooms, and the seeds were typical of Yojiri. I saved the seeds from this plant, what can I expect when I grow them?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Jeanne,

"I saved the seeds from this plant, what can I expect when I grow them?"

Assuming that your cornflower blue Akasuki No Umi was actually an F1 hybrid between Akasuki No Umi and Yojiri, the seeds that you saved will be F2s from that cross. As F2s, you can expect random recombinations of the genes from the two parents. I love growing F2s from known crosses because of the great variety of new combinations of features that you can get. Some of them may be counter-intuitive, so as they say, expect the unexpected.

You could possibly get a pink Akasuki No Umi or something similiar to, but a bit different, from a pink Akasuki No Umi. Depending on how many different gene pairs are involved, it might be that no two of your F2 plants will be the same. Be sure to save seeds from your favorites. Your selected F3s will also have some variation, but you will be on your way toward creating new breeds.

MM

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 12:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne

Oh, thank you! I was so thrilled with this cross that I tried a few others, I. purpurea 'flaked' x I. hederacea, and I. hederacea x I. purpurea 'flaked'. I was surprised at how easily they took, I had dismal sucess with Rosa crosses.

Now I will be able to figure out what I want to do with all these seeds. Your information is very much appreciated.

Bookmark   December 9, 2004 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Do Echinacea and Rudbeckia cross pollinate if planted together?
Hello, I need some expert knowledge! I have Echinacea...
petarkostov
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Mandevilla varieties x M. laxa for improved cold tolerance?
Hi, I really love the beautiful flowers of all types...
greenfrog
Cross Pollinating Sunflowers?
If I place two sunflowers that are different species...
Silva-Moon
Sponsored Products
MTI New Yorker 1 Tub (71.5" x 41.75" x 22.5")
Modern Bathroom
Binic Table Lamp by Foscarini
$289.00 | Lumens
Palatial 4-Light 29 1/2" Wide Chrome Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Orange Moroccan Tea Glasses - Set of 6
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Alessi | EA06 CrissCross Basket
YLiving.com
Divi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Copper Foil Glass
$153.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™