seeds

sofia20November 18, 2004

Hi all,

I was curious to know if seeds normally gathered from nature are most likely to produce identical plants or hybrids. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject but I 'm growing fragrant plants and one of my seed sources hinted on the fact that a specific plant hybridizes easily and now I find myself looking with new eyes at all of my seedlings!!

thanks, sofia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Walter_Pickett(5-6 KS)

That depends so much on what seeds you are talking about, and where you got the seeds. I wouldn't generalize about this.
Walter

Bookmark   November 21, 2004 at 6:35PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Sofia,

With wild plants, hybridization means crossing of species, which is a little different from hybridization of garden plants. With garden plant hybrids, we normally are talking about crossing varieties or cultivars, although crossing of species is sometimes performed in garden plant breeding.

Certain species of wild plants are known to produce natural hybrids. But, in most cases, wild plants do not form hybrids for various reasons such as geographic isolation of possible hybridizing partners or bloom times which don't correspond.

Most often, seed collected from wild plants will produce plants which are of the same species as the plant from which the seed was collected, and the characteristics of the offspring will fall within the range of genetic variation of the population from which it was collected.

Jim

Bookmark   November 21, 2004 at 9:37PM
sofia20

thanks for the info,
my seedlings are gardenias and probably I was over reacting because one has narrower leaves than the rest and another lighter colored leaves but it is obviously due to difference in watering or sun exposure since they are still really small ..leaves are only about 1.5 cm long :-)
sofia

Bookmark   November 25, 2004 at 6:07AM
Elakazal

It's quite possible your differences are environmental, not genetic, but don't write off the possiblity that these are genetic differences. While hybrdization work with wild species usually focuses on crosses between species or between wild material and cultivated lines, there's no reason variation can't occur in wild plants. I'm not familiar with gardenia's flower structure, but unless it's a closed flower which can only be self-fertilized (in which case the offspring will certainly be quite uniform), then a certain level of variation in seedlings can be expected. Differences will usually be subtle, but they're there. Lots of cultivars of various things have been selected from the wild, and many were not interspecific crosses, just good individuals of a particular species.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Please explain about F1 hybrids
Can someone please explain, in plain, simple, elementary...
tete_a_tete
goose plums; paw paw
I just read that goose plums were a natural cross between...
norman2012
Weird green echinacea
This summer one of my echinaceas bloomed green---all...
Cindi McMurray
Turnip breeding results .
I have been trying to cross purple top x Shogun . I...
jerry63
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Sponsored Products
Britannia Collection 26" High Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting P4411-77 Fiorentino Forged Bronze 12 Lt Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
Sample-Iota Thistle Seed Marble Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Onza Medium Bottle
$7.99 | zulily
Black Cherry One-Light Outdoor Wall Light with Clear Seeded Glass
$54.44 | Bellacor