Can a Hoya be planted in soil Sunset zone 23?

kaytaffDecember 23, 2012

Can a vining species of Hoya be planted in the soil in Sunset zone 23? Would it actually climb? Most Hoyas I have seen in San Diego were in hanging baskets, climbing up and trailing down. If one would work, what species would be best, and where can I buy one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Sorry I have no idea what/where Sunset Zone 23. Perhaps you could just mention the geographic area of the US pls.

Can I ask why you'd want to plant a Hoya in the ground directly? Do you know what the soil is there? Why not plant in a container?

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Your winter lows are still far too cold (38F-23F during winter) to grow a Hoya in the ground. Ideally you would want a winter low of no more than 50F for longterm success. If you want to try then I would suggest Hoya carnosa or Hoya pubicalyx because they are cold tolerant and very easy to get. Hopefully someone in your area can suggest a local source. Hoya carnosa is very easy to find in most garden centres.
I have seen photos of huge Hoya pubicalyx plants growing in the ground and covering a huge trellis. Sunset zone 24 would probably be a safe bet but why not try an inexpensive rooted cutting just to see how it does. By planting near a South wall etc you can often grow plants that are usually not winter hardy in your area.

Mike

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Hanging Basket Idea
Hello all, I've just started to collect a few hoya...
alvaandr
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Bragging on the hubby (photo heavy)
Ever since he made this wonderful shelving system,...
aurorawa
My First Hoya Adventure
Hi everyone, over the past few months I have been lurking...
SnowStorm
Free to a good hoya home near East TN
O hoyaphiles, I am filled with angst. It's been a long...
ohmybloomers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™