A Pictorial Album Under our Iowa Skies

ditasSeptember 7, 2013

Compiled from 2011 & 2012. I no longer take as much of late, except on unusual occasions as I did *A Sad Event* i recently posted.

Click each frame if interested in captions.

Many thanks for viewing this li'l passion of ours under Iowa skies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Li'l Jewels

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Your pictures are wonderful, Ditas. I like them better than those in the coffee table books, because they show them in a more natural setting.

You've got a couple of little fatties sitting on the wires there. I'm enchanted by the sight of one of them sitting on a wire. I'm torn now about whether to put my wire back up.

Thanks for sharing those, a real treat for me.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 11:58AM
ditas

Thank you for going thru very copious album!

I didn't take as many pictures this season ~ am just enjoying observing a bit closer, more. I usually wear garden Ts in the floral colors or greens, so as to be inconspicuous & unintrussive. I usually am able to get closer ~ I now even carry a syringeful of sugar drink for handy squirt in my palm, to see if I can lure one to come & sip. Wish me luck ~ I was so close to Ms Speedy in her well guarded trellis wire the other day!

BTW I believe Ms Speedy is the same baby-fluffy guarding the trellis cafe in 2011, again in 2012 & this season as well!!! How wonderful if indeed she was!!!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:09AM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Yes, I believe that. We had a feeder out some years ago and then couldn't put it out the next year, and I saw a hummer hovering in the exact spot where the feeder had been, so I know it had come back.

Now I'm looking forward to next year and I'm going to believe they're the same ones come back.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 12:28PM
ditas

From what I've read, even the travelers, enroute home, remember the stops along the way, thoughtfully prepared for them ~ by addicts like us (hahaha)!!!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
RBTH Migration Map
Hooray, they are on their way!!!!!! http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html...
shillanorth Z4 AB
Anyone else watching the map daily? :)
I'm beyond excited to spot some spring migrants. So...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
needle and thread seeds
is anyone familiar with this flower? a friend's mother...
lenahall
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Just checkin' in
I'm trying to like this "Houzz" thingy, but...
ctnchpr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™