What is the best hydrangea for Albuquerque?

julesstraceMarch 29, 2009

I would like to plant a hydrangea in a corner against my house that faces North and East. This area gets more and more direct sunlight hours as the summer progresses. In the early spring it gets almost no sun. In the hottest part of summer it gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight. I am hoping to find a hydrangea that can tolerate both full shade, full sun, and the heat of Albuquerque (it gets up to 100 during the hottest part of summer). I know that this is a lot to ask for from any plant. I would love to plant a lacecap hydrangea here, preferably blue. Is this a bad idea? If so, what long blooming flowering shrub would perform well in this area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

What times of the day does this corner get sun? Morning or afternoon?

When you say full shade, I assume you are talking something like a shaded location with bright indirect light, yes?

When you said you were looking for a hydrangea that can tolerate full sun, I got confused. Did you not say that the corner gets only four hours of sun? Or are you planning to place a hydrangea elsewhere?

In the South, hydrangeas need protection from the sun. Too much sun and the leaves yellow out or turn white-ish. It is called sun scorch or sun bleach. Hydrangeas also need well draining, moist, acidic soil. When the soil is acidic, colored mopheads bloom blue blooms; otherwise they bloom purple or pink blooms. People who have poor soils (clayish, for example) can get around this by using raised beds although hydrangeas will tolerate imperfect soils up to a certain point. But when soils and alkalinity are pretty bad, I recommend trying to grow them in pots instead. What type of soil do you have?

My hydrangeas here in Texas have not had much problem with the high temperatures in the 100-110s but they will wilt when you add some drying winds so you need to keep an eye for wind advisories and you need to control the urge to water when they plants look wilted but the soil is moist. I give my plants shade starting at around 11am.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas in New Mexico by NM State

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Sponsored Products
E27 25W 3920LM 98LED SMD 5730 LED Corn Bulb
ParrotUncle
MTI Melinda 6 Tub (71.25" x 35.5" x 23.5")
Modern Bathroom
Slumber Solutions Body Flex 11-inch Queen-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Navy Blue Sapphire Comforter Bag
$14.99 | zulily
Classic Ball Antique Gold 48-inch to 86-inch Curtain Rod
$54.95 | Bellacor
Indoor Area Rug: OMG Kiss Flame 5' 3" x 7' 6" Plush
Home Depot
Cordless LED Lighted Pivoting 7" Wide Vanity Mirror
$69.91 | Lamps Plus
Accordia 9/16" Single Cell Room Darkening. Free Samples and Shipping!
$73.00 | Blinds.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™