Disappointed

tropicbreezentDecember 27, 2012

My Hoya australis ssp rupicola has only produced one flowering peduncle with 2 more peduncles probably going to flower in a couple of weeks (or more). And after setting them up so nicely to feel completely at home!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
restoner(6B-7A)

I wish I could be disappointed in the same way. How would you describe the scent?

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 11:06PM
restoner(6B-7A)

p.s., That's a great picture!

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 11:49PM
tropicbreezent

Thanks Restoner. The scent is like a real sweet talc.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 5:08AM
greedygh0st

Beautiful! I love the way the hard curve of the petals gives them a narrower appearance.

It's true, sometimes the plants we invest the most time in are so ungrateful! Luckily it works the other way too, with haphazardly handled plants treating us to unexpected shows... >_>

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 11:41AM
denise_gw

Some of the australis ssp are stingy bloomers. I don't grow rupicola, but I do grow ssp australis and ssp tenuipes. Tenuipes is a generous bloomer whereas my very old ssp australis only gives me an occasional blooming peduncle. And it took it over 10 years to even hint at blooming! Wazup with that??

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 12:08PM
denise_gw

Some of the australis ssp are stingy bloomers. I don't grow rupicola, but I do grow ssp australis and ssp tenuipes. Tenuipes is a generous bloomer whereas my very old ssp australis only gives me an occasional blooming peduncle. And it took it over 10 years to even hint at blooming! Wazup with that??

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 12:12PM
tropicbreezent

Thanks for the comments. I tried to simulate it's natural conditions by building up a high rockery. Between the rocks I put gravel and sand to fill the gaps. Plus some very old weathered charcoal. But I suspect the rock and gravel I used was a type of dolerite. The stone in its natural environment is sandstone which makes for a very low pH. The dolerite produces a higher pH. Perhaps that's why the Hoya isn't responding as well as what I'd hoped. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it will come good in time, or maybe I'll just have to rebuild with better selected materials. I wish this learning curve would flatten out a bit, LOL.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Is it hoya?
Hi, I bought hoya carnosa seeds online. This is what...
hoyax
Rehabilitating Problematic H. obovata
Hello. I acquired H. obovata sometime last autumn and...
fakechuchi
Signs of life on a peduncle!
I need a bloom it's been a very long time. I'm having...
Liberated
Is this a hoya?
Don't know if it's a weed or a type of hoya. It's either...
Tanjil Wright
Hoya Krimson Queen with her crown
This is a 15 year old plant , she has never bloomed,...
smi2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™