Unknown Hydrangea, how much sun/shade?

rjingaMarch 13, 2009

I am considering putting these 4 plants in a north facing bed that runs the length of one half my house, it's a relatively shaded area (pergola overhead) and it is shaded from the house at certain times of the day.

How much of one or the other is desirable...I hope that there is a "norm" even without knowing what variety I have.

Thanks for any input

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gslgal(5a)

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you have but most hydrangeas will tolerate part shade or even require it in your neck of the woods. Especially if it's one of the macrophyllas - the type most often sold at large garden centers. When does it get out of the house's shadow? Late afternoon? If the area gets a good amount of indirect light ("bright shade") chances are they will do very well there.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:03AM
rjinga

It will definitely get bright filtered shade (due to the pergola overhead), I had some peace lillies there in large pots, that did OK, not great, it was still a bit too hot outside for them. But they lived there quite a while anyway.

I also have some ferns there (inground) that come back every year and some hosta, also happy there. I was thinking maybe to give them a trial run, I'd leave them in containers and see how the summer goes, and plant them if it all looks good.

Another consideration is to oover a small section of the pergola that is near the roof line and that would create a foot or two of direct shelter, and even so, they would still get a good deal of filtered sunlight. I have NO large trees on our property...so it's hard to find true shade ;)

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 11:47AM
esh_ga

In Georgia they will want protection from the hot afternoon sun. Any sun in the morning - even full sun - should be fine.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Anyone use shrub covers to overwinter in zone5?
I was looking at ways to protect my hydrangeas next...
jager1
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Amela Black 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
Rural Tiffany Home Floor Lamp With Flower Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
Piper Pendant by Tech Lighting
$172.00 | Lumens
Hyper Blue - Satin Dark Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Capiz Hanging Pendant Lantern
Cost Plus World Market