When to plant hydrangeas from pots

serkhab(9)March 24, 2013

Hello,

I have a few hydrangeas in containers and they are getting kind of big for them and was wondering when would be a good time to transplant them into the ground? Their leaves are pretty big now but now flower buds on them yet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

You could wait 2-3 weeks after your average date of last frost in Spring.

For example, the avge for the Dallas-Fort Worth Area, where I live, is March 13th so I wait a few weeks until the 27th or sometime in early April.

That habit helped me with a potted hydrangea that I currently have because today (3/24) we are expected to dip below freezing so I had to move the pot back indoors even though during the last few weeks we got quite high (the 80s).

Just a fyi: I almost planted it this morning. Sometimes a little dip that quickly bounces back up is not a big deal but if it had gone down much more than that, the leaves would have been affected. In a scenario like today, if I had planted it, I would probably cover it to protect it.

Luis

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:32PM
serkhab(9)

Luckily I am in northern california and we are in the high 60s to low 70s consistently now with a windy day here and there but no where close to freezing. So I am guessing planting them should do no harm. Thanks again for the speedy reply

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 12:32AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

If your hydrangeas have been outdoors in pots and acclimated to the weather you could plant them any time your soil is workable, meaning not overly saturated with winter or spring rain to the point you could ruin the soil structure spading it. It's the wet, not the light frosts we still may have, delaying putting container plants in the ground for me here in coastal washington.

If these are florists hydrangeas that have never been outside, the temperature/wind would have to be considered, and you'd want to gradually introduce them to the real world before installing them in the ground, much like you would ready an annual plant not hardened off to fluctuating temperatures or, as damaging if they've never been exposed to it, wind.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Hydrangea buds are rotting or being eaten in the center!
Even though it was raining when I took this photo,...
katyashydrangea
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Sponsored Products
Campania International Ario Planter - Set of 3 - 94-007-13903
$749.99 | Hayneedle
Cactus! Hors-D'oeuvre Tray by Alessi
$260.00 | Lumens
Rosemary in Clay Washpot
$44.50 | FRONTGATE
Bird of Paradise Plant
Overstock.com
Shiny Carmel Metal 16-inch Flared Planters (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Flower Sophie Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Fallen Leaf Bowl
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage 50-watt Verde Green
$85.77 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™