From seed

IRuehl(8b-9a, Savannah GA)March 23, 2011

Are they hard to grow from seed? How would this be done? Who sells the seed? Spanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a)

Hi, IRuehl. Hydrangeas grown from seed may not be true to the parent, which is why many people try other propagation techniques such as cuttings and layering. Maybe for that reason, I have not seen the seeds for sale at seed companies. But that does not mean no one sells the seeds out there. I just have not run into a company that does. And since the seed may not be true to the parent, I am not attracted to the idea much.

The seed growing technique I have seen requires cold stratification for two months, long enough for my brain to forget I put the seeds in the refrigerator. Soo, I recommend propagation by cutting and-or layering instead.

Interestingly, of all hydrangeas, Climbing Hydrangea is best suited for seed propagation. But Macrophyllas are best propagated via softwood cuttings (cut them in May-June) or by layering.

Luis

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 9:40PM
IRuehl(8b-9a, Savannah GA)

Ah, good information. How do you "soft stem cut"? Is this hard to do as well? Thanks for your answer too!

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:49PM
luis_pr(7b/8a)

It refers to new growth in the stems. In Spring, the new growth is soft and it hardens as the growth season progresses. By the Fall, it is harder and able to withstand winter better than when it was new soft growth.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 1:35AM
IRuehl(8b-9a, Savannah GA)

Ahh, I take it I should not do this to my new ones, just planted one gallon?

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 8:16AM
alex1990(4)

I have Some Hydrangea seeds if you want them. I do not have the time to make them grow. If you are interested, just send me an email. you can have them for sase.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™