Dianthus Morden Pinks

sambal(z8 Seattle WA)December 19, 2007

My husband bought two of these plants for me last year. I fell in love the large flowers that completely cover the plant and the variations in colors. Does anyone know if they will hold their traits if I plant self-pollinated seeds? I never see them in seed catalogs and I would like to have a nice mat of them near the front of the garden. Thanks, Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davemichigan(zone 6a (SE Michigan))

I do not know about Modern Pinks. If they are hybrid you will not get exactly the same thing. If you plant a large number of them, some of them might hold the same traits while some others will look different.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sambal(z8 Seattle WA)

Dave..thanks. I now understand that part. I'm certain they are hybrids. Two of the five seeds I collected have germinated. I do expect quite a difference in the seedlings. I saw a hybrid in a catalog called "Cherry Rose" and I'd bet that the genes of that plant were used in creating the Mordens...coloration is about the same, but the flowers are not nearly as large. My sample is very tiny. The results should be interesting if nothing else.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
peachmond
Here is my proprietary peachmond, Elberta peach (pollen...
itheweatherman
Store bought pepper cross?
I have this long term plan where I plan to save seeds...
Taneedley
Weird green echinacea
This summer one of my echinaceas bloomed green---all...
Cindi McMurray
What do you get when you cross a watermelon and a pumpkin?
Can a pumpkin and a watermelon cross breed? I'm new...
birch9397
Anyone breeding blackberries for zone 4
Tired of zone 5 blackberries that can not handle zone...
jerry63
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™