My first hummingbird! Do they like roses?

riverterrace(z6ct)October 6, 2007

Just in the last few weeks we've been visited by a tiny olive green and black hummingbird! I thought it was a strange bug the first couple times because it was after dusk and too dark out to get a good look at it. This week it has popped in several times at the end of the day when it is still light out and it's definitely a hummingbird. I planted a new butterfly boarder this year and the Verbena, Vervian, Salvia, Cone Flower, Veronica and Butterfly Bush are still in bloom so maybe that's what is attracting it, yet every sighting the bird has been hovering over my David Austin climbing rose, which is also still in bloom. Do hummingbirds like roses or is it just too shy to venture across the yard to the butterfly boarder when we are out in the yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

river, roses don't have nectar, so they aren't feeding. What they are probably doing in the climber is stalking their feeding plants. We have a feeder near a climbing rose and one hummer just sits there and if he sees another hummer go to the feeder, he darts out and chases it away.

Once after a rainstorm, I saw hummers visiting my roses. I realize they were drinking water that had collected on the leaves and in the flowers. It was pretty neat.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 5:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lv6b

Your first hummer, congrats! The bird may also be hunting insects on the roses. I've noticed that since I attracted hummingbirds to my garden that my roses have been virtually aphid-free!

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
First rufous of the season just visited...
What a treat. I just looked up to see the first rufous...
morz8
Petunia Species integrifolia & exserta & Hummers?
I was reading an academic journal about original Petunia...
ladyrose65
Feeders
Can you recommend the best hummingbird feeder? I have...
rainydaywoman_z8
Material for hummingbird nest
I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what...
PFCMCL
Salvia Leucantha
The hummers and I are enjoying the Fall bloom of my...
mbrowne
Sponsored Products
Richelieu Triple Chrome Bath Bar
$149.90 | Bellacor
Lite Source Joshua 2-Light Metal Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Owl Salt & Pepper Shakers
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Giddings Scroll Rug 4' x 5'7" - OLIVE
$109.00 | Horchow
Modern Church Shaped Himalayan Crystal Salt Table Lamps With Dimmer Switch
ParrotUncle