Very late adult male ruby-throat

hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)October 24, 2012

Two days ago an adult male ruby-throated hummer showed up in my yard. Adult males have always been gone here no later than the second week of September, so this sighting is pretty remarkable. I've never even seen a juvenile hummer this late. He is still here this morning using both the feeders and flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jomuir(z5 detroit)

they seem to be really late this year. I wonder if the mild weather is the cause, though I thought their migration was more related to day/night length?

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 1:27PM
hawkeye_wx(z5 east-central IA)

It is November 1st and my hummer is still here. In recent days I've seen him mostly flying off somewhere after drinking at the feeder, but this morning he appears to be insect-hunting in the yard. We've had a lot of freezes, but I suppose there are still a few flying insects left.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:46AM

My hummer has now been here for more than two weeks. As we head toward mid November this little guy is really starting to push his luck. The normal low temp is down to near freezing and it can easily get down into the teens if any good batches of arctic air dive down into the central US. It appears the coldest air of the season will move in early next week.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 12:33PM

After being here for three weeks, my hummer was apparently not able to survive 36 hours of below freezing weather and a low temperature on the second morning in the upper teens. I had the warm nectar out at first light again this morning, but the hummer never showed up. It's unknowable why this little guy never flew south.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:08AM
jomuir(z5 detroit)

He may have left, did you find his body or something? He may be gone south now....We've had much warmer temps this fall in Detroit, and saw hummers much later than normal. Hopefully, yours was just a late one & is winging his way south right now.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle
I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might...
hbwright
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In Your Garden?
What Are The Very Best Hummer Attracting Plants In...
taupe79
Skeeters
Humer feeder too low so I dumpt it out to refill and...
mxyplx
Its been a while
Hello there! Its been a while since I have posted anything...
Simplee_Chicana
Anna's HBs now visiting
I have Allen's hummingbirds all year, and in the summer...
publickman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™