Dwarf Hydrangea selection - opinions on my candidates?

wynswrld98(z7 WA)March 18, 2013

I'm looking for a dwarf hydrangea to replace a large one that has taken over. I'm hoping to keep it 3' or less (ideally 2'). I'm not well versed in hydrangeas. Here are ones I'm considering:

Let's Dance Starlight
Color Fantasy
Pia
Proven Winners Cityline Paris

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I have seen some Paris shrubs and they look very nice. Locally, the cityline and Let's Dance Series have arbitrarily shown up at small or medium plant nurseries but not all the varieties showed up. Pia, being an older variety has shown up at nurseries more reliably.

The Let's Dance Series Starlight is a rebloomer. Fantasy, Paris and Pia do not rebloom so they produce the flower buds in July-August and then bloom the following Spring. Do not expect to get the purple seen on some pictures of Fantasy; that actually depends on your soil.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

2' is a nice wish but in our climate, 3-4' is more likely for any of these and some perhaps even larger. I am disinclined to want to prune to maintain a specific size and you do run the risk of reducing or eliminating a bloom cycle if you do.

"reblooming" hydrangeas are a bit of a misnomer in our area as well.......any hydrangea here has a rather lengthy bloom season but unless greenhouse grown, don't expect to see flowers before midJuly. Just not warm enough to encourage earlier blooming. But they will stay in bloom well into fall and often even after several light frosts.

All that said, 'Pia' (aka Pink Elf) is a reliable plant in this area with a heavy bloom and seldom gets much above 3'x3'. And holds its pink color well regardless of soil conditions.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?
I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was...
love_the_yard
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Sponsored Products
Ware Clean Living 2 Level Small Animal Cage - 16017
$165.81 | Hayneedle
Ware Carefresh Dwarf Hamster Kit - 2213
$28.67 | Hayneedle
Patterson Aged Brass One-Light Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Aged Brass Two-Light Flush Mount
$482.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Old Bronze Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor